Thursday 24 December 2009

Salonica: Holocaust / Shoah photographs; Abravanel's blog

As Abravanel commented on my previous post about his blog post on the Holocaust / Shoah in Ioannina (in which I should have said that I recommended that blog, not just that post), he has also published 'Photos from the Shoah in Salonica [Φωτογραφίες από το Ολοκαύτωμα στη Θεσσαλονίκη]'.

I think I first found Abravanel's blog when I was looking for cultural heritage in Ioannina (where I'm studying at the moment), and heard about the 'Jewish Cemetery Ioannina (again) vandalized [Εβραϊκό Νεκροταφείο Ιωαννίνων βανδαλίζεται (ξανά)]'.

I don't know what I'll be doing this summer (or, indeed, after), but I would like to tour Greece, visiting lots of cultural heritage sites (ancient and modern, positive and negative), as well as finally forcing my brain to develop some proficiency in the language. If I do go on a cultural heritage tour, I expect Abravanel's blog will be my first inspiration for Jewish Greek historic sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment